Reporting | Vessel Captain Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status | Hourly; Non-Exempt - SEASONAL
Basic FunctionThe Deckhand is Baltimore Water Taxi’s representative on board a vessel while it is operating in/around the Baltimore harbor. The Deckhand is a skilled listener and performer able to absorb a wide range of new skills and perform associated tasks with little to no guidance. The Deckhand is the junior safety officer of the vessel under the Captains’ command responsible for the health and welfare of embarked passengers and fellow crew members. The Deckhand is a consummate professional who possesses the ability to evaluate a situation and act accordingly in the best interest of the passengers, crew members, and the company. The Deckhand is a customer service representative tasked with positively representing the company’s brand by engaging active/potential customers while resolving conflict. The Deckhand is an authority figure able to effectively manage passengers during normal operations and emergency situations. The Deckhand is a member of the crew who will follow the orders of those appointed over them.
Duties & Responsibilities
- On-location representative responsible for the safety and security of passengers, crewmembers, and vessel;
- Assist the Captain in the operation of a vessel in accordance with internal policies and external laws governing commercial passenger vessel operations;
- Ability to assist the Captain while transiting and docking a vessel on congested waters in adverse conditions;
- Ability to assist the Captain in reacting to a wide range of emergency situations;
- Follow the guidance, direction, and instruction of supervisors/managers;
- Communicate effectively to passengers on an individual basis, or as a group using a public address system;
- Exercise sound conflict resolution skills in order to address an agitated customer;
- Ability to adapt to new and changing technology;
- Ability to learn the operating systems of all vessels in the fleet;
- Show up to work on time;
- Process ticket sales and manage credit card transactions.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old;
- Obtain a Maryland Boater Safety Certification within 30 days of employment;
- Obtain a valid First Aid/CPR card within 30 days of employment;
- Be willing to work flexible hours as required by the schedule or as directed by Management;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and a neat and clean appearance;
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and come to valid conclusions.