Reporting | Reports to Director of Operations Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status | Hourly; Non-Exempt - SEASONAL
Basic FunctionThe Captain is Baltimore Water Taxi’s representative and is responsible at all times for the safety of the vessel. The Captain will be the sole navigational officer for the vessel and will ensure all navigational and propulsion machinery is in satisfactory operating order. The Captain also oversees the safe loading and unloading of passengers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assume responsibility for the safety of passengers and adherence to the sailing schedule;
- Operate his/her vessel at a speed consistent with safety and exercise sound judgment and prudent seamanship;
- Follow proper procedures for start-up and shutdown, paying close attention during cold/rough weather operations;
- Be responsible for ongoing crew training;
- Know the handling characteristics of the vessel;
- Conduct regular checks of navigational equipment;
- Be responsible for his/her crew’s behavior, uniform, and work ethic in accordance to all BWT policies;
- Be responsible for performing and overseeing daily preventative maintenance under the supervision of the DO;
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management.
- Possess United States Coast Guard License to operate passenger vessels of 50+ Gross Registered Tons on Inland Waters;
- Possess a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credentials);
- Obtain a valid First Aid/CPR card within 30 days of employment;
- Be willing to work flexible hours as required by the schedule or as directed by Management;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and a neat and clean appearance;
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and come to valid conclusions.